Stanley S. Chang
106 Central Street ~ Department of Mathematics
~ Wellesley College ~ Wellesley, MA 02481~
Wellesley College, Wellesley, Massachusetts, 2001-present.
Associate Professor of Mathematics, 2007-present.
Assistant Professor of Mathematics, 2001-2007.
National Science Foundation Three-Year Research Grant, 2005-2007.
National Science Foundation Research Opportunity Award, 2004-2005.
The Anna and Samuel Pinanski Teaching Prize, 2003.
The Apgar Award for Teaching Excellence, 2003.
Rice University, Houston, Texas, 1999-2001.
G.C. Evans Postdoctoral Fellow.
National Science Foundation Postdoctoral Grant, 2001.
The University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois, 1993-1999.
Doctor of Philosophy, Mathematics, June 1999.
Cambridge University, Trinity College,
Cambridge, England, 1991-1993.
- Dissertation: Coarse obstruction to positive scalar curvature metrics
in noncompact quotients of symmetric spaces. Advisor: Shmuel Weinberger.
- Lecturer of the College.
- Lawrence and Josephine Graves Teaching Award, 1997.
- William Booth Graduate Teaching Award, 1996.
Bachelor of Arts, Mathematics, June 1993.
University of California, Berkeley,
- British Marshall Scholar, scholarship awarded 1991 by the Marshall Aid
- Class I Honors in Mathematics II, June 1993; election to Senior
Scholarship of Trinity College, Fall 1992.
- Recipient of the Trinity College Yeats Mathematical Essay Prize, November
1992, for work submitted on topics in analytic number theory.
Bachelor of Arts, Mathematics, May 1991, with Highest University
Honors and Highest Departmental Honors.
- Phi Beta Kappa, awarded as junior, Spring 1990.
- Rhodes Scholarship California State Finalist, 1991.
- Finalist and runner-up for University Medal, top academic
award given to university undergraduates, awarded May 1991.
- Dorothea Klumpke Roberts Prize in
Mathematics, May 1991.
- University of California Regents' Scholar, 1987-1991.
- University of California Alumni Scholar, 1987-1991.
- University Dean's List, top 4% of university, 1987-1991.
- Positive scalar curvature of totally nonspin manifolds, to be
published in the Proceedings of the American Mathematical Society, 2008.
- Bounded rigidity of spaces of slow asymptotic growth, to appear in
the Journal of K-theory, 2008.
- Topological nonrigidity of nonuniform lattices, Communications
on Pure and Applied Mathematics, vol 60 (2007), 282-290.
- On Novikov-type conjectures (with Weinberger), Clay
Mathematical Proceedings, volume 6 (2006), 43-70.
- On conjectures of Mathai and Borel, Geometriae Dedicata 106 (2004),
- On invariants of Hirzebruch and Cheeger-Gromov (with Weinberger),
Geometry and Topology 7 (2003), 311-319.
- Coarse obstructions to positive scalar curvature metrics
in noncompact arithmetic manifolds, Journal of Differential
Geometry, vol 57, no. 1 (2001), 1-22.
- A special linear operator on M_4(R) (with Li),
Linear Algebra and Multilinear Algebra, 30:65-75, 1990.
- Certain isometries in R^n (with Li), Linear
Algebra and Its Applications, 165:251-256, 1992.
- Languages: classroom experience with Biblical Hebrew,
Ancient Greek, Latin, German, French, Spanish, Italian,
oral familiarity with Mandarin.